Moment mum lies to police to protect killer boyfriend who murdered her 11-week-old baby

Chilling footage shows Teddie’s mum Lucci Smith lying to detectives at Cambridgeshire Police after her 11-week-old son was battered to death by her cowardly boyfriend Kane Mitchell

A mum repeatedly lied to police to protect her evil boyfriend after he murdered her 11-week-old son while she was on a school run.

Kane Mitchell, 31, killed little Teddie by smashing his head against a hard surface after inflicting a horrific “catalogue” of injures from the day the defenceless tot was born.

Chilling footage shows Teddie’s mum Lucci Smith lying to detectives at Cambridgeshire Police after her son died in November 2019.

The 29-year-old said she cared about baby Teddie more than “anything in the world” during her interview that is captured in a new two-part special of the Channel 4 series 24 Hours in Police Custody.

Mitchell was not the baby boy’s biological dad but had been living with Smith and her other children in the family home in St Neots.

Smith was on a school run when Mitchell fatally attacked her baby but she did not dial 999 for more than 30 minutes after being urged to do so.

Teddie suffered injuries that police compared to those suffered by Baby P including 17 broken ribs, fractures to his skull and collarbone, as well as brain, spinal and eye damage.

When Smith was asked by detectives how her son suffered those injuries she said she had “no idea” and denied she have “covered” for her partner.

She was questioned about her volatile relationship with Mitchell where she initially denied that he had assaulted her.

When Smith was asked again about how Teddie suffered the fatal injuries she said: “If there was then I would say because he’s my son at the end of the day and he means more to me than anybody.”

Detectives intently monitored Smith and Mitchell after Teddie was rushed to hospital before arresting them both when he died 10 days later.

Cameras follow every twist of a probe on behalf of a victim who will never be able to tell police what really happened.

The footage shows Mitchell holding Teddie in intensive care as he sobs: “Come on baby, Daddy’s here.”

Smith was convicted of cruelty to a child but was acquitted on charges of causing or allowing death and serious injury at Cambridge Crown Court in February.

The court heard that Smith “cared about… and loved” Teddie and that Mitchell was an “overbearing partner”.

The judge sentenced her to a two-year community order, noting that she had already spent several months in prison while remanded in custody ahead of her trial.

Mitchell, who was not Teddie’s dad, was jailed for life with a minimum of 18 years.